Smash Book Meets Project Life

So as you know it was the Smash* book that got me back into “scrapping” (or smashing, if you will). With my newly rekindled love, I started trolling the community again; trying to get a feel for what was new, what products were all the rage, etc.  That is how I stumbled upon Project Life. I loved it the moment I saw it. I take pictures almost every day anyway. I love everyday moments – it shows in my photographs. I don’t like to do the typical posed photo shoots, I am always drawn to lifestyle photography. I like going back and looking at vintage everyday items (advertisements, soup cans, kitchen gadgets, slides, etc.). It seemed perfect.

Boy was I wrong.

I loved the idea but the format was not for me. At All. It was just too linear (which is crazy because I usually really like that kind of thing). Having to fit all my thoughts in tiny little 3×4 rectangles kind of made me…sad  irritated I don’t know…it made me something.

Like I said though, I really liked the idea. So I thought about it. I liked the idea of Project Life, I liked the idea of Smash* books so why don’t I just combine the two. So I did! And I love it!

Here is my attempt at a Project Life page. I didn’t even finish it because I hated it so much…I know hate is a strong word, but I mean I REALLY didn’t like it!

(sorry the picture is so dark, it was taken at night and I could only get so much light in the room)

So I scrapped that idea, pulled all the cards out, broken them down and made it into a Smash book. There is journaling behind the big pic of Em that tells what went on this week.

Here is the left side.

Here is the right.

Allison - February 10, 2012 - 2:20 pm

I’ve been meaning to comment, but just haven’t lately. I was hoping you were going to say you loved PL!! I’m getting behind on mine now, but I don’t scrapbook anymore since Jenna so PL is about all I do (besides blog books.) Anyway, I love your smash book ideas – I’ve never heard of those. You are still super creative though and I love it! I hope you post more! :)

Rebecca - February 10, 2012 - 2:23 pm

Thanks Allison! I stopped scrapping when we had Jake. It’s funny how that happens. I found the Smash book thing a lot easier and faster, which is good for me. <3

soapHOUSEmama - February 11, 2012 - 8:09 am

Love how you made it your own – great job!

Karen - February 11, 2012 - 9:20 am

That’s the really wonderful thing about this hobby, right? That you can just do whatever feels right to you. I like both versions of your pages!

Your children, by the way, are ridiculously adorable!

Emily - February 11, 2012 - 11:02 am

I *love* this! I use my Smash book as a memory book, so this is super inspiring. I’m bookmarking your blog! :D

Rebecca - February 11, 2012 - 12:35 pm

Thank you so much! I am very excited about the way it turned out! It was so much fun to make!

Pamela K. - February 11, 2012 - 3:13 pm

Awesome job! Love the pictures and embellishments! Your little girl is a doll! :-)

Michelle Hernandez - February 14, 2012 - 7:07 pm

beautiful really! The photos are fantastic and you follow everything up with wonderful color combos- very inspiring.

Bre - February 20, 2012 - 12:44 pm

awesomeness!!!

Aimee - July 16, 2012 - 2:53 pm

I’m so glad I found this post!! I did a google search for Project Life Smash books and found this. I’m having a hard time getting my two loves to co-exist. Do I put this piece of memorabilia into my Smash book or into Project Life? Do I put a picture into Smash or is PL the picture place only? ARGH! I love them both and feel like I have split scrapbook personality. :) Thank you for sharing your blended version. I am thinking next year I will be ordering aspects of PL and putting into a Smash book instead!! :D

Tiffany - February 12, 2013 - 7:00 pm

thank you for this. i haven’t tried either of these, but lately i’ve been feeling the need to start a new project. i thought keeping a journal and doing a bit of collaging would help, but i’ve got a folder full of maps and pamphlets and things from my trip abroad and i don’t really know how to journal them. so i googled and found both project life and smash books and just don’t know which to try! i really like your post, as it shows the same project but using the two different ways of journalling them. gives me a little more insight on which might be better for me. i’m leaning more towards the smash book idea, but more googling before that! both your project life and smash book are gorgeous btw. and thanks again for sharing!

Rebecca - February 12, 2013 - 8:40 pm

I’m so glad that you found it useful! Smash booking is so much fun!

Jeanal - February 25, 2013 - 11:33 am

I find your site from pinterest. I love your smash book ideas. I was wondering if you keep up with the smashbook all year and did it work out well. I have a project life kit and a smashbook. I was thinking about doing something similar and would love to see more of your pages.

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

There was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.