Like I said in the overview of our “A” week, I was a little bit afraid to take on such a big cooking project with the boy. Sure he has made coffee and he has put together a mighty fine salad but this involved actual cooking!
In order to make it as easy as possible on myself I prepared the ingredients without him – measuring out everything and pre-cutting all the apples.
I found this recipe on good ol’ Pinterest.
He helped by dumping all the ingredients into the pot. I did all the actual work with the stove, but when it was finished cooking I let him mash some up with a potato masher!
Apple Pie Applesauce
- 8 large apples, pealed and sliced (I used Jonathan)
- 3 tbsp (real) pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients.
- Set over medium high heat, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Applesauce is done when the apples are all translucent and soft. Mush with a fork if you prefer smoother apple sauce.
- Serve warm.
Enjoying the fruits of his labor!